|Click on the photo to enlarge
The estate, abandoned in 1927 by the Coronesi monks and currently in process of restouration, stands in a small valley rich in vegetation, safeguarded as protected floristic area (there are 140 species, some of which rare) and crossed by a stream called Fosso del Corvo "Ditch of the Raven" (from which Valle dei Corvi - Valley of the Ravens").
The architectural structure is organized into several environments, many of which dug in the sandstone: particularly noteworthy are the quiet cloister with an ancient sundial, the cellar with a press provided with its original pressing system, the wash-house with its six tubs, the old mill, the lodge, the chapter house, the elegant library whose ceiling is painted with a wind rose and the two small churches, completely dug in the rocky wall, decorated with stuccoes and wall paintings.
The majority of the current look of the Hermitage is that left by Prior Apollonio Turchi, author of the enlargement and of the restoration, carried out in 1785, a period when the body parallel to the stream, at the bottom of the valley, was built and provided with masonry cells for the monks; in the same period the two overlapping caves were reduced into a unique room which has become the new Church dedicated to St. Joseph, putting it together with the old one dedicated to St. Romuald.
In 1826, after the Hermitage was abandoned following to the Napoleonic suppressions, the church, the lodge, the library and the chapter house were decorated with wall paintings and stuccoes.
The Hermitage of the White Friars - Eremo dei Frati Bianchi – is an ancient structure, dated back to 1300, of 2.700 sq. m. and a park of 60.000 sq. m.
Some parts have fallen down, other parts are in very good conditions, other parts are under restoration.
Electricity and water are present. Moreover all the permits for the general restoration are available.
The kilometre of road in the wood, to reach the monastery from the main road, has been re-established and is perfectly practicable.
Only 15 minutes away from the motorway and only 5 minutes away from the highroad Ancona-Roma.